Wednesday 19 October 2011

Morning of the creeps.

Remember first discovering horror films as an impressionable teenager, staying up late with the lights out and scaring yourself shitless?  I do.  But as any long-time horror fan knows, you become more and more immune to cinematic scares.  A decade or so ago, ghostly shocks from the Far East gave jaded western horror audiences reason to rejoice as long-haired children and juddering limbs flew through our screens, with pant-endangering results.   It’s been a long time since I felt the thrill of being really scared by a film, but recently I’ve put aside my love of seeking out comically excessive old exploitation films in favour of finding some scares, and also reacquaint myself with more current horror.
 Silent House had a few “shiiiiiiit” moments, but failed to live up to my (admittedly inflated) expectations.  If you’ve not heard about it, it’s a low-key Spanish horror, sold entirely on its single take gimmick.  The marketing made damn sure that we understand the film was shot entirely in one continuous, 80 minute shot.  ‘Real fear in real time’, the tagline helpfully informed us.  Whether or not this is the case has been the subject of much discussion on message boards, with talk of the cameras used being prone to overheating, therefore unable deliver such a lengthy take, but then apparently it is possible with wet towels to keep the cameras cool, and all kinds of message board bullshit, no doubt culminating in accusations of being a ‘liberal pussy’ or more likely, a ‘faggot’.   
But anyway, the reason I write today is because this morning I watched Paranormal Activity 3. 
Just wanted to let that hang in the air for a second.  I saw the first film in the franchise, and while I found it kind of effective, I think the impossible expectations left by the marketing dulled the fear somewhat.  I didn’t catch number 2, but after watching the third one I think I just might have to.  Because you know what?  Sitting in screen 6 on my own this morning I was, from time to time, getting pretty creeped out.  I’m properly surprised at how good the film was, given that it’s part 3 in a franchise I was never overly bothered with in the first place.  Oh by the way, that bit in the trailer with the two girls playing bloody mary?  Nowhere to be seen.  But yeah, it’s a good’un.
The scares in Paranormal Activity 3 remain intermittent however, and I’m still searching for that elusive film that can properly put the shits up me.  Something kinda recent, to ensure I don’t lose touch with modern horror entirely.  Any suggestions?   

3 comments:

  1. How was the last 15 minutes of the film? Apparently every review mentions how the last 15 minutes will fuck you up and all..

    ReplyDelete
  2. ow and fuck you asshole I had to register to post this! No fuck you asshole!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah there's some pretty show-stopping moments in the final reel, you should watch it. Oh and I eat Green Berets for breakfast...and right now I'm very hungry.

    ReplyDelete